Dr. Wilson's Homoeopathic Institute, Ythan Street
Digital Image
Identifier: D27520001_043
Dates
- c.1880
Summary
Ythan Street, opposite First Church. Town of Invercargill, Block LII, part of sections 1,2, and 3.
Likely taken sometime between 1864 and 1869.
Likely taken sometime between 1864 and 1869.
Conditions Governing Use
This item has no known copyright restrictions. Please reference Invercargill City Libraries and Archives A0105 S27520001_043 when re-using this image.
Biographical / Historical
William Willson was born on 13 Jun 1813 in Suffolk, England.
As Dr William Willson HMD, he indicated he was opening his business in Invercargill at the beginning of 1863. He came from Auckland where, since 1860, he had practiced at Willow House in Albert Street.
It is unknonw whether Willson was a registered practitioner.
He first established his Homeopathic Institute and Pharmacy in Yarrow Street, very specifically, as stated in his advertisement, in Block 57, section 14 (Southland Times, 26 December 1862, p1). He took advertising space to explain the practice of Homeopathy and set up hours for consultation (Southland Times, 3 March 1863, p1).
By November 1864, he had moved his practice to Ythan Street opposite the east face of the First Church, running through sections 1, 2 and 3 of block 52, and going by his advertisement, his fees were not cheap (Southland Times, 4 November 1864, p.1).
William Willson died on 29 December 1868.
The large building next door was likely owned by John McKissack (Southland Times, 5 February 1868, p.3). It may have been used by the Southland Academy started in 1867 by Mr S. Elborn, which is stated as being next door to Dr. Willson's (Southland Times, 31 December 1866, p.1).
As Dr William Willson HMD, he indicated he was opening his business in Invercargill at the beginning of 1863. He came from Auckland where, since 1860, he had practiced at Willow House in Albert Street.
It is unknonw whether Willson was a registered practitioner.
He first established his Homeopathic Institute and Pharmacy in Yarrow Street, very specifically, as stated in his advertisement, in Block 57, section 14 (Southland Times, 26 December 1862, p1). He took advertising space to explain the practice of Homeopathy and set up hours for consultation (Southland Times, 3 March 1863, p1).
By November 1864, he had moved his practice to Ythan Street opposite the east face of the First Church, running through sections 1, 2 and 3 of block 52, and going by his advertisement, his fees were not cheap (Southland Times, 4 November 1864, p.1).
William Willson died on 29 December 1868.
The large building next door was likely owned by John McKissack (Southland Times, 5 February 1868, p.3). It may have been used by the Southland Academy started in 1867 by Mr S. Elborn, which is stated as being next door to Dr. Willson's (Southland Times, 31 December 1866, p.1).
Extent
1 digital object (From album of 114 photographs) : TIFF file.
Existence and Location of Copies
To obtain a high resolution copy of this image please contact the Archive.
Physical Description
Gelatin silver photoprint.
Dimensions
H 115mm x W 208mm
Album Caption
43. Dr. Wilson's Homoeopathic Institute, Ythan Street, opposite 1st Church.
Repository Details
Part of the Invercargill City Council Archives Repository
Contact:
50 Dee Street
Private Bag 90111
Invercargill Southland 9810 New Zealand
archives@icc.govt.nz
50 Dee Street
Private Bag 90111
Invercargill Southland 9810 New Zealand
archives@icc.govt.nz
